Monday, June 7, 2010

I admit it, I'm superficial.

There are some of us recent college graduates with admirable personal tendencies. (See: future political activists, future doctors, future teachers, etc...) In contrast, I was not born with a knack for promoting social causes. Instead, genetics and environment combined to produce a rather superficial, yet keen eye for detecting proportion and disproportion in clothing as it is worn on the body. How useful!

I learned this past year thanks to absurd laboratory experiments that I possess the unusual ability to distinguish between minute height differences in rectangles. When coupled with multiple drawing professor's observations that I have a great desire for symmetry in the representation of the "nude and clothed human form," and my history of fascination with clothes and proportion, I reached an epiphany: I am programmed to be an obsessive analyzer of surfaces.

This is not a blog about me, however, and I most certainly do not claim to be an authority. It is simply a series of opinions that stem from my very subjective, very specific perception of surrounding forms. So often I have been asked why I have such strong aversions to certain styles, outfits, and textiles, that I've finally attempted here to provide explanations of the way my slightly crazed mind processes surfaces and articles of attire.







No comments:

Post a Comment