Sunday, October 3, 2010

Commuter Fashion: Sneakers, Boxy Suits, and all sorts of Blasphemy

We’ve all seen it. Perhaps some of us have even done it. I myself may proudly say I have trekked to and from work in platform heels most days this summer, with the occasional change to metallic flats when necessity demanded. Never, ever, did I don a sneaker with any of my work outfits. Not even on casual Fridays when we are allowed to wear jeans to work. This may be extreme behavior, but I’m a walking illustration of an important point, damnit!


I understand the restrictions associated with having foot problems. Due to an unfortunate spill freshman year of college, I myself have remnants of an untreated fractured foot as well as a history of several stress fractures since that time. Never stopped meeeeeEe from donning respectable shoes during the work week.


My long-winded point here is that ambiguous white running sneakers with business suits is a MOST dreadful and unnecessary assault on the eyes of unsuspecting fellow commuters. [See related: my previous post entitled “The Ambiguous White Sneaker.”]


With the exception of the very aged, there is WITHOUT DOUBT some sort of shoe entity besides that of the athletic variety that is functional and comfortable enough to carry your body a few blocks to the subway. Face it, unless your commute to work on the island of Manhattan involves,


a) Cardio acrobatics (and I say cardio here because normal acrobatics can be performed barefoot or in a deliciously soft-soled shoe)


b) Hurdling objects taller than 3 feet above ground level


Or


c) Darting around defensive linemen


it is probably better to preserve your dignity than to don a clunky “sneak” (and I’m not being affectionate here) with that pencil skirt/tapered slack/etc. etc. Especially now that brands such as Cole Hann are making business appropriate footwear with comfort technology.


And if you ABSOLUTELY insist to wear some sort of non-boot lace up thang, let me remind you of an old standby and a wonderful footly gem: the Converse shoe. At least with this strategic selection, you’d clearly be saying,


Yes, I am copping out and wearing a non-matching shoe for my work commute, but it is a cool canvas shoe. A culturally relevant canvas shoe. A canvas shoe that does not automatically decrease my attractiveness level to passerby. A canvas shoe that does not assault the integrity of the rest of my outfit.


Oof!

1 comment: