Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ruminations




Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally for not blogging in a while.


Inevitably with the onset of fall comes feelings of sentimentality and a desire to scrap the tomfoolery of a sweaty summer in New York. Fashion week works wonders as a little slap to the backside of our collective urban populace. [Ahem: Time to put away those predictable smocked sundresses, myself included...]

So what can fall bring besides untraceable whiffs of smoked sausages and prepackaged Halloween costumes?

Why, I'm so glad you asked!

As far as I'm concerned, I'm placing my bets on popcorn knit sweaters, boots with daaa furrr (but not like THAT), and shearling. Throw in a few dolman and cape silhouettes with attached ribbed cuffs and you got the top covered. No pants for you!

Just kidding.

Perhaps I will give you pants. I will give you non-denim creations in a wide variety of tailored cuts. Some still skinny, some tapered, some artfully cropped and cuffed. Ta da! Fully clothed.
But really, pass on the denim. This year is not the year of the jean.

On a more reflective note, there is a clear reversion to more conservative styling going on all around us, especially this fall. A sigh of relief. Though I've been known for my mini dress/skirt/etc. getups, I never was a fan of overly tight-fitting attire. And let's face it, we're all getting older, even if we are still "young" by most standards. Piling on layers of interesting fabrics really excites me now. Large silk shirts and billowing trousers are quickly becoming close friends. [Side note: Except not when it flash thunderstorms when one is attempting to navigate home whilst wearing insanely large silk polka dotted pants and 5 inch platform sandals. This would be a time when billowing fabric quickly becomes soggy, twisted fabric and a foe! Blasphemy.]

But matronly? Never. Not when styled appropriately. A platform sandal or boot with an otherwise questionable ensemble can really do wonders. Add a jarring digital watch and some lip/cheek tint and you're good to go as long as the weather holds up.

Could my theoretical projections of the Fall 2010 to come also be linked to a fast approaching personal spinsterhood of large hair, large jewelzz, and large furs? Most likely, yes. But not all of us can be content to wear the uniform of current mainstream fashion day in and day out. I'll take the single life and a hot toddy too!






No comments:

Post a Comment