Saturday, July 3, 2010

Tales of Woe: Whiskered Denim edition.


<--- oh HELL naw.





It is beyond my realm of comprehension as to why over-the-top faux washes on denim perpetually resurface every few years. One of the biggest offenders in this faux foolishness is whiskering around the crotchal region. I understand that the worn-in look for denim is an American standard. This probably relates to our cowboy heritage and other "classic" things involving dusty open areas and smelly animals that simply want to be left alone. But just because horseriding and similar extracurriculars that involve crouching, sitting, etc., tend to stress the upper thigh region of pants does not mean that everyone should strive for the urban (or suburban) saddle-worn look. Sorry to say, but the "rugged" facade is easy to see through when a man in whiskered denim is daintily sidestepping into a subway car on his way to the club. [PS. No degree of bottle service will make up for that whiskered mess on yo' trousers. I got eyes like a hawk!]

Besides all of this is also the purely aesthetic argument that, well, Whiskering, you ug-lyyy.

Why stress lines radiating outward from one's crotch could ever be considered a desired finish on a pair of jeans is beyond me. Why my younger self did not question my own whiskered denim? Also difficult to say. I must own up to the folly of my darker years, however, and pledge never again to let a piece of whiskered garb within a one foot radius of this anti- faux finish zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment